Procedure and documents for registration of a marriage between a Turkish and foreign national in the UK are as follows:
First, you need to get in touch with the local registration office in the UK.
Turkish citizen needs to obtain a certificate of no impediment from his/her local registration office in Turkey through this Consulate General. To this end, s/he needs to apply to this Consulate General with his/her ID card (nüfus cüzdanı).
Following the marriage ceremony and having the marriage registered at the local registration office in the UK, Turkish national has to inform this Consulate General of his/her marriage within one month just after the marriage.
For the registration of marriage at this Consulate General, following documents have to be produced:
- Marriage certificate and a photocopy
- Full birth certificate of the foreign national and a photocopy
- ID card of Turkish spouse (nüfus cüzdanı) and a photocopy
- Postal fee (£6)
- Please note that in the event that you fail to register your marriage with Turkish Consulate within a month following the ceremony before the British authorities, you will be liable to pay for a fine of £ 8.
- A copy of foreign national’s passport, his/her father’s and mother’s name and his/her religion must also be communicated to the Consulate in writing.
Please note that foreign women marrying Turkish men in the UK may apply for Turkish citizenship after 3 years of marriage, if she intends to live in Turkey. The Republic of Turkey accepts dual nationality as long as bride’s country does not object it.